Generated from Vinehealth Australia’s Vineyard Register:
- We have approximately 76,000 hectares under vine in South Australia (accounting for vineyards greater than 0.5 Ha).
- More than half these vineyards were planted between 1997 and 2006.
- Planting over the past 10 years accounts for 9% of vineyard by area.
- There are 1540 hectares of vines between 50 and 100 years old.
- There are 238 hectares that are more than 100 years old, with half of these planted in the 1800s.
- There are 20 hectares that are more than 150 years old.
These vine age numbers serve to emphasise the importance of getting biosecurity right, to protect the health and sustainability of our vineyards and the brands they support.